The Encyclopedia Britannica Eleventh Edition (1911) is a 33 volume reference work. Volume 29 is a comprehensive index. Volumes 30-32 are the 1922 supplement to the edition (also referred to as the 12th edition) and volume 33 is a reader's guide to help people better use the set. Work on the main body of the set began in 1903 and was completed in 1911. It was edited by Hugh Chisholm in London and by Franklin Henry Hooper in New York and represents the first edition that was primarily published at one with with all volumes being published in 1910-1911. Prior editions were published volume by volume as each one was completed. The 1911 edition was praised for both its scholarship and its writing that was simple enough for non-scholars to enjoy - making it the first true home version of this venerable series.
These ancient volumes are a treasure trove of interesting and unusual facts and make for fascinating reading to get a sense of the times and their knowledge of the world vs what we now know of the world. This makes them perfect for researchers, historians and anyone interested in this time period and the happenings of the world at that time.
This DVD contains all 33 volumes:
- Volume 1: A - Androphagi
- Volume 2: Andros - Austria
- Volume 3: Austria - Bisectrix
- Volume 4: Bisharin - Calgary
- Volume 5: Calhoun - Chatelaine
- Volume 6: Chatelet - Constantine
- Volume 7: Constantine Pavlovich - Demidov
- Volume 8: Demijohn - Edward
- Volume 9: Edwardes - Evangelical Association
- Volume 10: Evangelical Church - Francis Joseph I.
- Volume 11: Franciscans - Gibson
- Volume 12: Gichtel - Harmonium
- Volume 13: Harmony - Hurstmonceaux
- Volume 14: Husband - Italic
- Volume 15: Italy - Kyshtym
- Volume 16: L - Lord Advocate
- Volume 17: Lord Chamberlain - Mecklenburg
- Volume 18: Medal - Mumps
- Volume 19: Mun - Oddfellows
- Volume 20: Ode - Payment of Members
- Volume 21: Payn - Polka
- Volume 22: Poll - Reeves
- Volume 23: Refectory - Sainte-Beuve
- Volume 24: Sainte-Claire Deville - Shuttle
- Volume 25: Shuvalov - Subliminal Self
- Volume 26: Submarine Mines - Tom-Tom
- Volume 27: Tonalite - Vesuvius
- Volume 28: Vetch - Zymotic Diseases
- Volume 29: Index
- Volume 1 of 1922 supp Abbe English History
- Volume 2 of 1922 supp English Literature Oyama, Iwao
- Volume 3 of 1922 supp Pacific Ocean Islands Zuloaga
- Reader's Guide - 1913
Here are some pages pulled from the collection.
This DVD runs on all Windows and Macintosh computers. You must have a web browser and Adobe Acrobat Reader - (available for free download if you do not have it installed on your computer.) The book index is organized in an HTML menu that is compatible with all browsers and the books themselves are in PDF format to allow them to be universally accessed. Many of the books on this DVD are fully searchable and all are printable.